NY Steinway Ribs and MC

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Feb 25 08:37:33 MST 2008

I don't know what the exact implications would be with let's say panel
ribbing done at 5.5% vs 4%. Obviously, with everything else being equal, the
4% would develop more crown. But I've never built such a board. I do know
that ribbing done in the range of 6.0% to 6.5 % doesn't develop much
compression crown at 50% RH room conditions. I really don't know, but based
on my very limited experience with compression crowning, I should think that
ribbing done at 5.5% wouldn't produce enough crown for a compression crowned
board - but then again, we don't know the radius (radii) of the cauls used
when pressing - do we? You don't have to dry a panel down at all to produce
a compression crowned soundboard if you press the straight ribs and panel
into a small radius enough caul.

Dunno.

Terry Farrell