A Cheeky Question ...

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Feb 25 21:36:47 MST 2008

If you anticipate pulling the action in and out a lot, one thing you can do
is make yourself a couple of positioning blocks: blocks of wood with a screw
that you can move in or out.  You put one on the bass side and one on the
treble side set against the back of the action cavity and adjust the depth
of the screw such that when the action is pushed in against them it is in
position.  A quick measurement of the width of the key frame and the
distance from the front of the frame to the back of the action cavity will
get you in the ballpark quickly.  Then fine tune by drawing a line at the
front of the key frame first followed by making small adjustments with the
screws.  That way you can pull the action and just push it back in until it
snugs against the blocks.  Easy and reliable.  (Don't forget to take them
out when you're done.)

I've found it's more of an issue for voicing than for regulation with the
exception of the sostenuto.  Of course, you should always lubricate the key
bed and bottom of the action frame as well.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com