A Cheeky Question ...

Alan Barnard pianotuner at embarqmail.com
Mon Feb 25 21:12:15 MST 2008

In regulating and voicing the grand, I have always inserted the cheek blocks every time I slide the action into place because that's what I've always read, seen, and heard to do.

Working today on the heaviest darned action I've ever hefted (Hyundai 6-footer)—if the action isn't in the exact spot required, it's very hard to tap either side into place or move it with cheek block, so I marked the front and side of the bed to line up the action each time.

Got to wondering, would spotting the action on preset marks be enough for many regulation and voicing tasks, without installing the cheek blocks? Or does that invite trouble?

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO