A Cheeky Question ...

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Feb 25 23:29:08 MST 2008

Hi Alan

The only imperative reasoning for using cheek blocks is in the case of
actions that have sprung key frames such as the Steinway... and even
then only when you are in the area where the key frame is not solidly
down on the key bed. Other wise a drawn line marking the front edge of
the key frame on the key bed is more then adequate. I find it easier to
have the key block loosely in place when doing shift pedal voicing....
but I know plenty of techs that just keep an eye on their marks.

Cheers
RicB

    In regulating and voicing the grand, I have always inserted the
    cheek blocks every time I slide the action into place because that's
    what I've always read, seen, and heard to do.

    Working today on the heaviest darned action I've ever hefted
    (Hyundai 6-footer)—if the action isn't in the exact spot required,
    it's very hard to tap either side into place or move it with cheek
    block, so I marked the front and side of the bed to line up the
    action each time.

    Got to wondering, would spotting the action on preset marks be
    enough for many regulation and voicing tasks, without installing the
    cheek blocks? Or does that invite trouble?

    Alan Barnard
    Salem, MO