turning down unwanted biz

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Feb 27 01:34:48 MST 2008

I just tell refer them to a tech I know that actually likes doing decent
work on such old beaters.  We have a guy here in town that finds old
beaters pleasing to his ear... and he does really nice work as well.  I
tell the customer that since he is motivated thus he is by far the best
man for their piano and that 99 % of the time makes them quite happy to
call the fellow.  The <<ours isnt good enough>> gets disarmed
immediately since you are putting them in contact with best man for the job.

Cheers
RicB

    How do you tell people you don't want to work on their old beater /
    junker / clunker without coming off as a piano snob, especially if
    the person who referred you has a piano you've been tuning for years
    that's no better?  ("You worked on theirs, now all the sudden ours
    isn't good enough for ya?")

    --veteran tuner, but still stymied by certain situations
    --David Nereson, RPT