Shteinveigh Qvestion

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Wed Feb 27 04:46:09 MST 2008

Alan Barnard wrote:
> When I take on a grand regulation job, I examine everything; take notes
> on how things are working, key to key; bed the frame in the piano;
> remove the action; examine the belly, trapwork, and lyre--adjusting as
> needed; take string height measurements; take the action home and put it
> on the bench; bench regulate best I can; take it back to the piano and
> fine regulate, etc.
>
> But (and you'll see how sophisticated we are here in the hills) I have
> never had occasion to regulate a Steinway. So .....
>
> Considering the bowed key frame, "accelerated action", sostenuto on the
> frame, etc., are there any changes to my steps that are necessary,
> anything special to be aware of? Any particular S&S quirks?
>
> Alan Barnard
> Salem, MO

Iffn you absotively, posolutely HAVE to take the action home for
regulation (to avoid confrontations with rug-rats, ankle-biters,
knee-knockers, pet pythons, etc.), and fear the crowned keybed problem,
you should set/check a few sample key dips.

With action in piano and clamped down by cheekblocks, take out your dip
block and find (or make) samples which are correct at each end and in
the middle. Write them down.  When you get the action home, clamped to
your bench, duplicate the dip on those samples using shims. Alternately
you could set up your bench with upside down glide studs (like
Baldson/Gibwin) to duplicate the keybed profile and those samples.

In-piano regulation is still the best.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076