Renner back action - spontaneous disassembly

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 27 07:07:18 MST 2008

List,

Came back from KC last June all pumped up from Jude Revely's class on
Renner back action installation.  For those who have not yet attended
one, he builds on the Tim Dixon article in the Journal (Sep/Oct '01) to
use  jigs on the bench to optimize the back action geometry, as opposed
to just duplicating what was there.  Fixture uses scrap pieces of lift
tray, so I pulled from my scrap bin the cut-offs from my most recent
Renner backaction installation, which was also my first using Renner's
new laminated tray (looks like Delignit, only thinner lams).  As I
picked it up, it came apart in my hands !!!  Yes, the mortise-tenon
joint seemed to have no glue in it, and it just fell apart.  The piano
in which the rest of this tray is installed seems to be holding
together, but to be certain, I'll have to pull the tray (!) and
reinforce the glue joint.  The two kits I've installed since, I drilled
and dowelled at several points along the length.
Called Lloyd, was told they'd never seen or heard of such a problem, but
they will support me in whatever rework/repair might be required.
Question:  Any of you other Renner users ever seen such a thing?  Users
of other brands (S&S, Tokiwa) how do you like their product?

thanks

Mike