Rebuilt piano warranty

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 28 05:03:27 MST 2008

Good advise Ric...
I too offer a limited 5 yr. warranty but mine is limited to defective parts.
In all of the years I have been a rebuilder I've only had one occasion where
I had to swallow the cost of a new set of hammers.  I had put a set on a
rather nice Steinway grand I was restoring and low and behold, they popped
apart.  I noticed the problem during one of my tuning visits and figured
that I had sold them the job and promised the warranty, therefore I had the
obligation to inform them of the defective hammers and follow through on my
word. I purchased a new set of hammers, did the installation, and had to do
a considerable amt. of voicing to support my warranty. All told, it was an
expensive experience for me to back up, but I did the right thing, and
provided the service I had promised. The bad part was that I couldn't get
Lloyd from Renner to back up the set of defective hammers and I was out the
$300 dollars for a new set of hammers. Of course, that was last time I
purchased Renner USA hammers for my projects.
Was Ric said is very true. Don't make promises you can't keep. Be careful on
how you word your warranty and be clear with what you will and CAN back up.
It only takes one very savvy customer who is looking for a free lunch, who
knows how to "work" a warranty to his or her favor and you'll be eating a
big piece of their pie. In my neck of the woods,  some of the wealthy have
rooms full of lawyers on retainer with nothing better to do than to go after
little guys with little or no recourses and have a field day.
Tom Servinsky