Wood Specie Insert for Capstan

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Thu Feb 28 23:50:09 MST 2008

    Sounds like something a factory would do.  And it explains why, probably, I encountered a brand-new Boston studio where the lost motion wouldn't stay put.  I regulated capstans, then proceeded to tune.  After tuning, many notes again had way too much play.  Turns out, on a hard blow, the capstans would just get pushed down into their holes.  The dealer replaced the piano.
    But I can "see" a factory doing that, actually, to save time, if their experience shows that the capstans stay tight in the wood.
Driving very fine threads into hardwood is  similar to driving tuning pins into the pinblock.  And most capstan screws do have fairly fine machine threads, not wood screw threads.  But if I were replacing capstans, or moving the capstan line, or installing wood inserts, I would drill the holes.
    --David Nereson, RPT