unethical and illegal behavior on the part of some

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 29 08:48:11 MST 2008

At 02:01 AM 2/29/2008, Gregor wrote:

>I don´t know the US law, but in Germany that´s
>definetly illegal. A few years ago a company
>decided to sell the local phonebooks on CD.
>Therefore they paid people in India and China to
>type it from the printed books. The printed
>books were sold by another company. That ended
>in a court decision that this is illegal. I
>think the copyright law is similiar all over the
>world, so I think it should be illegal in the USA, too.
>
>Gregor

Yes.

It seems that US law at this point is out of
whack with the norms and standards accepted
worldwide through international copyright
treaties. Until a fairly recent US Supreme Court
decision, most US courts ruled as above, where
copyright protection was extended to the fruits
of extensive research. The Supreme Court, in its
great wisdom, struck those decisions down. At
this point a bill has been pending in Congress
for several years to make US law conform to
international standards, but to date it has not been acted on.

So, while such protection may be (and I stress
"may be" because none of us here are lawyers)
unenforceable in US courts, it is essentially due
to a very narrow legal interpretation by one US
court that is not accepted worldwide. So at the
very least, the practice of disseminating the
material publicly, and publishing it through
electronic media on a widely accessible e-mail
list  (which constitute a permanent record
accessible to a wide public - and not a single
communication to a single person, which is
perfectly fine) is unethical by international standards.

And I suspect that US law will sooner or later be
adjusted to conform with International standards.
It seems that databases generated in Europe have
general copyright protection on the underlying
facts, and those generated in the US do not. That
puts US databases at a competitive disadvantage
on the international market - and sooner or later
there will be sufficient pressure from the information industry to fix that.

All of this puts the PTG and Andy Rudoff in an
awkward position, since the Pierce Atlas is an
important industry resource, and the PTG is not
interested in interfering with his ability to
generate income from his business. And by
maintaining this mailing list which allows
practicing piano technicians to avoid the
purchase of the directory by asking others to
extract facts from this directory and publicly
publish them as a permanent record (which is what
posting on this list amounts to) they make the
PTG and Mr. Rudoff accessories to this ethically questionable behavior.

Mr. Rudoff - who owns the server on which this
list lives and kindly makes it available for our
use - has asked that this behavior cease.
Regardless of any legal technicalities, this is
the only consideration that is relevant here. So
I suggest that any further questions regarding
piano dates be referred to the Pierce Piano Atlas
or some other resource - and not answered on this
list. And I would not blame Mr. Rudoff if he
unsubscribes persons who ignore his request.

Israel Stein