question for for Israel, was Re: unethical and illegal behavior on the part of some

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Fri Feb 29 13:54:00 MST 2008

Try as I might, I can't stop my fingers off the reply button...

Letter-of-the-law legal interpretation is (a) to be left to lawyers and
judges and (b) seldom done. Letter-of-the-law says that if the speed limit
sign says 30mph, and if for some reason Officer Friendly wants to stop you
for driving 31mph, s/he can darn well stop you. In practice, this very
rarely happens.

Likewise, if letter-of-the-law says we can't provide even one date every
month or so (probably the actual frequency it's been done here on pianotech
is even less), or if letter-of-the-law says we can't provide a non-DC
undercover to a client but we do it anyhow, then Officer Larry or Officer
Roger can, by rights, come after the offender if they see it.

In practice, this rarely happens. However, if someone posts a file to the
list containing something s/he says was OCR scanned from PPA, well gosh,
that's like driving 45mph in that 30mph zone, after dark, in snow and fog.
If you advertise your business offering grand piano undercovers for DC
customers, that's the 45 in a 30 thing again... actually, since that's a
patent infringement, maybe it's more like 60-in-a-30, I dunno.

Point being, the "police" (Larry and Roger) tend to ignore the 31mph
"speeders" because it's a small, minuscule loss and/or unknown to them such
as in the case of the undercover, or the OCR scan on the PDA belonging
quietly to the individual who scanned the data.

I suspect that this list has actually probably helped SELL more PPA's, if
anything... every single time someone asks for a DOM, at least one
respondent says "Get a Pierce."  But geez, posting scanned content for the
world to see, well, hmmmmmmmm...... I suspect that is probably what set
Officer Larry off.

Just my two-hundredths of a semitone.

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN