Piano Atlas

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Fri Feb 29 14:43:39 MST 2008

Thanks for mentioning that Gregor.  I bought the European Piano Atlas years
ago, a handy little volume.

There was also, published in 1981 with supplement in 1984, "The Musicians
Piano Atlas" edited by S. K. Taylor and publshed in the UK by Omicron
Publishing Limited.  Like the European Atlas, it has useful information,
with some dates, on piano action makers and other things.  The supplement is
called "Supplement Number 1": I think it was envisaged that there would be
regular supplements. But it never happened.

I don't encounter a great many American pianos (used to see them when the US
military base was here) and have found the Musicians Piano Atlas sufficient
for my needs.  If I moved to the US or to an area wiuth lots of American
pianos I would certainly buy a Pierce - and may indeed buy one in time for
the sake of more up-to-date information on current makes.

Here is a thing to ponder then, folks:  Supposing I take my two non-Pierce
piano atlases, and type out, in a huge table in my own style, all the dates
and numbers for all the pianos, and put them on a website for all the world
to see.  What interest will the publisher of Pierce have in that? I don't
own a Pierce, have only ever in my life had brief glimpses inside a copy of
pierce - and that in the 1980s - so in putting up my website, I have copied
nothing from Pierce.

Ethically, I might be considered ungentlemanly, but LEGALLY, where would I
stand in relation to Pierce? Nowhere!

Best regards,

David.

"Aside from the current discussion about the Pierce Atlas I would like to
give you a hint to the existance of an European Atlas. Of course it has its
focus on European pianos, but it might be helpful for you, too. It´s called
Atlas der Pianonummern, is written by jan Großbach and is edited by Edition
Bochinksy. What I really like: there are not only the numbers of the
instruments, but also the numbers of actions and key frames (keyboards,
keys?). So, if you have a no name piano with a Langer action that has a
number, you can say when it was built. Furthermore, it has a good collection
of the decals of many brands with their graphical logo. Sometimes you have a
piano without a written name but with a decal on its frame. With that atlas
you can find out the name of the brand.

And for those of you who can read German: there is a pretty cool Lexikon
Deutscher Klavierbauer. It has tons of information about the brands. Founded
or dissolved in which year, who was chairman, decorated with which medals,
adresses and so on......

Both books are available at German piano part supliers like Jahn,
Baumgärtel, Meyne and probably Renner too.

Gregor"