unethical and illegal behavior on the part of some

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 29 14:54:55 MST 2008

At 12:13 PM 2/29/2008, pianotech-request at ptg.org wrote:
>Dave
>
>I want to keep this confrontational.
>
>What is the legal definition of "copy the information?" Does sending
>information (dates found in the PPA), over the Internet constitute
>copying of information?
>
>Israel, you seem to have a good handle about legal issues. Can you
>answer this?
>
>Wim

WIm,

I am not a lawyer, so I cannot really answer this question. All I can
do is discuss the issues in the light of what I know and how it
appears to me. And others may have different perspectives...

We are living in an age when the technology (the Internet) has gotten
ahead of the legal principles that govern intellectual property and
need to catch up. Until then we have some injustices being
perpetrated any way you look at it.

First, posting information on the Internet - especially in a public
forum - is not the same as telling it to someone on the phone or
sending it to them in a private report or any other such interaction
as might happen between a practitioner and a client. Posting in an
Internet forum creates a permanent record in the archives, accessible
to large numbers of people - and the information could conceivably be
stored forever in any number of servers and computers as backups,
archives, files, etc. This is "publication", not private
communication... So if the information is in some way restricted or
proprietary - then its posting does constitute a violation.

Now, it seems that currently US law does not protect the sort of
information found in the Pierce Piano Atlas - at least not under
routine copyright protections (there may be a contractual basis for
recourse - but that's more complicated). This is a result of a
Supreme Court decision, which is at odds with most precedents and is
completely out of whack with international treaties honored by the
majority of other industrialized countries. There is legislation
pending to bring US law in line with the rest of the developed world,
but so far it has not been passed. As in the last major US Copyright
law reform (in the 1970's), the US was forced to align its copyright
laws with those of the rest of the world, and I suspect that it is
only a matter of time before the same thing happens in this case,
because it puts US compilers of databases at a competitive
disadvantage vis-a-vis European firms which enjoy such protection.

OK, let's look at how we use the information in Pierce. If we provide
it to our clients as a service - well, that's how it is meant to be
used. We bought the book in order to use it in our business - so
that's what we are doing.

What about providing the information to strangers over something like
"The Experts' Forum"? Well, here it gets a bit more complicated. On
the one hand we are publishing the information and creating a
permanent record. On the other hand, the people who consult that
forum are not likely buyers of Pierce Piano Atlas, so there is no
real harm being done here. If that forum were not available, then
they would look for some piano technician from whom to get the
information, or look for some other source - but they would not go
out and buy a Pierce, since their need for the information is
one-time, with regard to a specific instrument.

What about this forum here? Well, this is where professional piano
technicians are asking for information to use in a profit-making
activity. Instead of buying a Pierce, they simply ask one of us to
look it up for them in a Pierce. This does harm the publisher in that
they are using the fruit of his labors in their profit-making
activity without paying for it - and, regardless of whether there is
a legal stricture or not, it is real harm, especially if they make a
habit of it.

Now, let's look at the broader picture. As in all legal issues, there
are two conflicting interests here. On the one side, there is a
social interest in the free flow of information. On the other hand
there are the interests of an entrepreneur who expended a large
amount of effort in compiling data in an easily accessible form -
they expect to be compensated for the labor involved by selling the
product of the labor. This is how our free enterprise system works:
the motivation for taking risks and investing time and effort in a
speculative endeavor is wholly dependent on the possibility of a
profit. Remove or reduce the possibility - and you remove the
motivation for future speculative endeavors.

Now, let's apply this to Pierce. Most of us have bought our Pierces,
so we have no need to buy any more. But newbies in the profession,
they are the potential market. If they get used to the idea that you
don't need to buy the thing - just ask on the Pianotech list, and
you'll get the answer. That cuts into sales. Significantly. Suppose
that when the current printing runs out, Larry Ashley decides that
his sales volume no longer justifies publication of another printing
or the preparation of an updated edition? And it makes no difference
how many times we "mention" his book on the list - if on the other
hand we are making it unnecessary for anyone else to buy the book.
Why buy the cow if you can get the milk for nothing?

Now, take it into the future. What about the pianos built after 1996?
Is anybody going to be willing to compile the information about them
into a directory for publication (or update Pierce) - knowing that we
all insist on our right to publish the information away any way we
wish in widely circulating electronic form? It isn't such an issue
now - but those of you who are still in this business twenty years
down the road, I hope you will enjoy trying to get the information
from the manufacturers (at least those who still exist and whose
language you speak) every time you want to find out a year of manufacture.

As they say, there is no free lunch. You either pay now, or pay later.

Israel Stein