Clever key cleaning customer

david at piano.plus.com david at piano.plus.com
Thu May 1 08:45:56 MDT 2008

Yes, as I  mentioned in my original post, acetone was my first thought
when she spoke of nail polish remover, and when I checked the label I saw
that it was there but not in too strong a concentration.

Cutex seems to be a brand of Coty, the London-based cosmetics company, so
I don't know that it would be available in the USA (I am in the UK).  But
presumably a brand with similar ingredients would work in a similar way.

I doubt if it would work on Ivory, but I guess it could be tried if you
have an old spare Ivory keytop to experiment with. I think it worked on
the customer's piano because the key covering is one of the early
cellulose plastics and the acetone in the polish remover is dissolving
away a layer a few molecules thick.

Best regards,

David

"I've looked for this style at Walgreen's, Target, and at Cub Foods (local
area(?) chain) to no avail. I do notice that the first ingredient on the
list is acetone. Also that the label is in English and German... seems
unusual in the US.

Since you first posted this, I've been wondering if it would be effective
(and non-harmful) on ivory. Anyone tried it (like on a salvaged, spare
ivory keytop?)

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN"