Flexy S&S D Keys

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Fri May 2 03:20:13 MDT 2008

....huh, to begin with, a very limiting ability to get a true forte. There
is an obvious threshold that one experiences which equates from the key
flexing too prematurely with very little stress. We are not talking about
the hammer's ability to create forte, nor regulation factors. But the key
itself is much too soft in construction.  The Steinway's from the late 60's
through the 70's were riddled with this problems and it's very frustrating
to work with. I have 3 D's currently at various venues which have all been
rebuilt, but short of having the keys replaced or reinforced. And they all
have the same systems. After experimenting with swapping out a few keys from
another ( more newer ) D, the difference in the key made a huge difference.
Tom Servinsky