Strike Point

Jude Reveley/Absolute Piano juderev at verizon.net
Sat May 3 08:08:31 MDT 2008

Matthew,

1/7 to 1/9 is appropriate for the bass, closer to the former. Set C-88 by ear. Conklin states this range as 1/12 to 1/17 but it may even be as small as 1/23. It will be pretty obvious when you've gone too far since you'll be playing the capo bar. The rest of the treble and mid-range is a compromise. The casting process demands that we move our ideal strike line note by note to get the best balance of tone and energy, and that will ultimately affect the strike weight.

Jude Reveley, RPT
Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
Lowell, Massachusetts
(978) 323-4545