Voicing Help

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 4 23:24:14 MDT 2008

Not that I'm pushing Yamaha hammers, but many higher compression hammers ( Yamaha, Renner...etc....NOT NORDISKA et al/AKA rock...) work fabulously with lower shoulder needling.   They need it and the "bloom...projection"  will happen.   These are "HIGH" quality hammers, not to be scoffed at, but worked with.   For me a week with Yamaha installing new C7 hammers in a CFIII was an eye opener.   The projection/tone above the strings that happened with opening up the shoulders with new hammers, may well be common knowledge to many...but it wasn't to me.   Projection had never really connected.   "Tone above the strings" as my Yamaha teacher said...DID...what Julia needs to do is straight-forward voicing.   NOT at strike-point exclusively and certainly not with steam...IMHO

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044