Voicing Help

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon May 5 02:57:36 MDT 2008

An excellent observation.

That said... assuming the shoulders are alreadly needled out and there
is nothing more to accomplish from further needling... hammers do get
packed beyond the point where voicing can do more then simply quite them
down.

If you feel no resistance to a deep 8 mm three needle tool from the
lower shoulder up to say 2-3 mm away from the crown area.. then your
hammers are simply used up.

Otherwise... do as mentioned below, finish with nice hammer mating and
single string voicing.

Cheers
RicB

    Not that I'm pushing Yamaha hammers, but many higher compression
    hammers ( Yamaha, Renner...etc....NOT NORDISKA et al/AKA rock...)
    work fabulously with lower shoulder needling.   They need it and the
    "bloom...projection"  will happen.   These are "HIGH" quality
    hammers, not to be scoffed at, but worked with.   For me a week with
    Yamaha installing new C7 hammers in a CFIII was an eye opener.   The
    projection/tone above the strings that happened with opening up the
    shoulders with new hammers, may well be common knowledge to
    many...but it wasn't to me.   Projection had never really
    connected.   "Tone above the strings" as my Yamaha teacher
    said...DID...what Julia needs to do is straight-forward voicing.
    NOT at strike-point exclusively and certainly not with steam...IMHO

    David Ilvedson, RPT
    Pacifica, CA  94044