Damper Rod Rubs Spoons

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue May 6 11:08:34 MDT 2008

Philip,

Is there any way the spoons could be "drifting up"(coming loose) from the
wippen? When the spoon contacts the damper lever felt, it drags down a bit
which over time could "pry" the spoon up out of the wippens.  Is it
happening on every note?  This sounds quite odd.  Maybe the spoons could
be driven down just a bit....or..check the regulation of damper lift, both
pedal and individual notes for proper movement.  How old is this piano?
I've never come across this kind of problem before...

Paul

Philip Jamison <mortier9 at hotmail.com>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
05/06/2008 10:44 AM
Please respond to
Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>

<pianotech at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Damper Rod Rubs Spoons

I tuned at a Kimball console today with an annoying damper pedal squeek. I
discovered the damper lifter rod is rubbing the tops of the damper spoons.
It's hinges are not loose or adjustable. I see the
option of grinding down the bottom of the rod so it avoids the spoons.
Better still would be to raise the rail a bit by driving in the damper rod
pins a bit. Can this be done?

Philip Jamison
West Chester, PA

Stay in touch when you're away with Windows Live Messenger. IM anytime
you're online.