Stretching Wire

AlliedPianoCraft AlliedPianoCraft at hotmail.com
Fri May 9 05:44:49 MDT 2008

I know Ron Nossaman took a lot of heat about  wire stretching, so I would like to give an unscientific, but real world account of a piano I tuned yesterday.

The piano is a Petrof model IV 5'8" which was purchased new. I first tuned it on Sep. 2005 at 441. the temp was 71º F and humidity was 46%.

The next tuning was in May 2006. I tuned it at 440, the temp. was 70º F and humidity was humidity was 37%

My customer said he hadn't called after he received my first card (1 year) because he didn't think the piano needed tuning.

I tuned it yesterday May 2008 and this is what I found.  A4 was at 439.79. I tuned it at 440, the temp was 72º F and the humidity was 40%.

The piano's pitch deviation was from -6 cents to +4 cents.

I couldn't believe it! I'd say there is not too much wire stretching going on here!

Al Guecia