Stretching Wire

kurt baxter fortefile at gmail.com
Fri May 9 08:05:11 MDT 2008

> ...I would like to give an unscientific, but real world account...

Anecdotal  evadance, though conindered "weak" by scientific standards, can
still valuable if accurate.
More importantly, anecdotal evadance is powerful in the human mind. We have
a tendency to privately
judge the trustworthiness of scientific explanations and models by how well
those models explain
things that happen to us personally.

A primary weakness to anecdotal evidence it that it tends to grant
unwarranted significance to
anomalies.

I am no expert in piano wire physics, but my initial guess ifs that the
Petrov must have either gotten
more than the usual number of tunings before it was shipped and/or (more
likely) it had been sitting
in warehouses and store floors for a year or years before it was sold "new".

(Do Petrov's fly off the shelf?)

Maybe it got most of it's stretch out before you encountered it?

Any other ideas?

[k]