Verdigris & Dark Flange Wood

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Fri May 9 21:03:00 MDT 2008

I disagree. The dark color in the wood IS often from
the (organic) whale oil that was used to lubricate
( and invites decay and verdigrais ) other types of
oil, and airborne contaminants. ( Particularly ammonia
from pet urine in the room, animals that have gotten
into the piano: i.e. mice, and cigarette/cigar smoke.
) Moisture just accelerates the wood's decay, and
sometimes invites mold.
    Thumpe

--- Randy Chastain <Randy_Chastain at sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

> Philip,
> I don't believe the dark flange is because of the
> lubricant
> applications. I think it's because of the moisture
> the flange has been
> exposed to. For example; look at an original
> Steinway action. The
> hammer shanks are usually dark and discolored, while
> the other wood
> (wippens) can be as light colored as new. AND Fenton
> is correct. Take
> and strip the rails ( you can also lightly spray
> clear the rails after
> cleaning) and rebuild.
>
> Randy Chastain
> San Francisco Bay Area