Verdigris & Dark Flange Wood

Randy Chastain Randy_Chastain at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 9 18:18:29 MDT 2008

Philip,
I don't believe the dark flange is because of the lubricant
applications. I think it's because of the moisture the flange has been
exposed to. For example; look at an original Steinway action. The
hammer shanks are usually dark and discolored, while the other wood
(wippens) can be as light colored as new. AND Fenton is correct. Take
and strip the rails ( you can also lightly spray clear the rails after
cleaning) and rebuild.

Randy Chastain
San Francisco Bay Area