Universal Bass String Question

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks at att.net
Sat May 10 20:17:54 MDT 2008

I ran across some universal bass strings I purchased from Schaff about five years ago.  Some of them have rust on one or two windings here and there.  It's not too bad.  There are a few with a lot more than the minimal rust, so I will probably just chuck those.  Just wondering if I can salvage any of them for use.  A few of the strings have the rust at the beginning of the windings so I will probably be discarding that section anyway when I fit the string in the piano.

  Can I still use the ones with small blotches of rust here and there?  Or better yet, is there anyway I can clean them up?

  Thanks!
  Matthew