Spring Time

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sat May 10 05:41:13 MDT 2008

Here's the outcome of this project.  The spring forming tool (jpg 1) is a jig
to also cut the lengths of the arms. The hole at the left end forms the first
bend for the loop hook, a pair of needle-nosed pliers forms the second bend.

Jpg 2  shows the springs. The new spring has the loop arm 3 mm longer
so the loop does not strain at the spring at rest position and the tail 2 mm
longer so as not to bind against the wippen but extend slightly beyond.
When the loop strains at the spring there is a 7-10 gram difference
in tension between rest and full stroke due to the effect of the change
in the angle of the loop which changes the draw on the spring. A longer
arm causes about a 3 gram difference. A longer arm feels more fluid.
Note the change in color after heating the springs in the oven to relieve
the strain.

Jpg 3 shows the installation. I found THE perfect pin for securing the coil.
A plastic tube with a metal rod inserted, it is a hobby store item. The ID
of the coil is .090" and the OD of the tube is .065 (perfect fit for the Renner
USA cord holes).  I prefer a solid support because if you try to adjust
the spring tension with a cord support, the cord pulls out slightly.

I may have to cove out the front edge of the back check support block
if that corner hits the spring but I have that jig too (jpg 11)
--

Regards,

Jon Page