Universal Bass String Question

Dan Reed pianoarts at tx.rr.com
Sat May 10 22:11:41 MDT 2008

Matthew,
..Only way to know is to put one on. Be sure to twist the wire and seat
the tail at the hitch pin, to squeeze all the bite you can out of the
potentially dead wire ...A Stainless steel or Brass brush can help get
some of the corrosion / tarnish out of the coils...( brush 90 degrees
to the wire)

I have not had good luck rubbing / cleaning Copper wound bass strings
with 3M pads, which do an exceptional jobl on solid wire(beginning of
the windings)...but tend to dull the finish of Copper wound strings.

Dan