replacing a back action on a 1909 Steinway B

Jude Reveley/Absolute Piano juderev at verizon.net
Sun May 11 18:35:55 MDT 2008

Other clearance issues could be the tray rubbing against the bellyrail (the
A and O) or the dags or the wires rubbing against the damper stop rail. You
should also consider the ideal geometry. All of these issues are avoidable
or solvable. Try modelling your backaction outside of the action cavity
prior to committing yourself to the pivot location. (see Tim Dixon's article
in the Journal). Renner and Tokiwa are both fine kits. Steinway's will also
work when they fit but don't count on that.

Best,

Jude Reveley, RPT
Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
Lowell, Massachusetts