replacing a back action on a 1909 Steinway B

Jude Reveley/Absolute Piano juderev at verizon.net
Mon May 12 17:43:12 MDT 2008

This is a sound approach. Sometimes a modification will be required to the dags to prevent rubbing since the rear of the tray pivots lower when the axis of the tray is shifted in line with the flange. Kent Webb told me Steinway is going for a 15 degree angle of the underlever below horizontal at rest. There is a school of thought that there is another half stroke magic line from the balance rail to the flange through the keyend to underlever contact point, but I've rarely found this to be possible without considerable consequences.

Jude Reveley, RPT
Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
Lowell, Massachusetts
(978) 323-4545