Ratio question

Dan Reed pianoarts at tx.rr.com
Mon May 12 19:43:52 MDT 2008

Phil,

Were you interested in finding a quick and inexpensive way to increase
the key dip on this piano? I assumed that.

I am a big fan of shimming the balance rail to get key dip roughed
in..it takes about 20 to 30 minuets....

Many mid-70's Baldwins came with shallow dip...Baldwins have a 'built
in' balance rail adjustment system, that makes raising the rail quick.
There are about four sections of the balance rail that have a flat head
screw, under the balance rail...this screw is accessable turu a
pre-drilled hole, drilled thru the balance rail

Beside this hole in the balance rail, is (usually)  a screw to loosen
and then tighten down the rail, after changes have been made.

One can usually shim any balance rail (verticlal) piano, if you can
leverage the rail up, to add a shim.

Down side...Sharps and Naturals are affected differently by shimming.

  Also,  In extreme cases, you may need to reduce the back-checking
distance ( a tendency to block the hammer with the increased dip).

If I have a piano owner on a tight budget, this is an exellent  way.  I
do this job about 6 times a year, usually as a part of a normal service
call.

Best to you,

Dan

  "We all agree that your theory is crazy, but is it crazy enough?" -
Niels Bohr.   He was the one who proposed the first spherical model of
the atom with electrons in orbit.