floating the soundboard

ricb at pianostemmer.no ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue May 13 01:20:12 MDT 2008

Grin... a sentiment I've expressed 3 times now since writing my own
reply to your post.... which as far as I can tell is the only post
that directly replied to yours. To be sure there was an indirect
point to contacting RonN, Del and / or RonO about floating the
bass.... which no doubt is a good idea as far as that goes.

On the side of this... I just had a Steinway Z up on its back
yesterday to repair a set of transport wheels and noticed that the
left side of the bottom end of the soundboard has a kind of floating
system.  Two segments about 25 cm long each. The float cuts were
recessed into the beam the soundboard was glued too about 3 mm.

Cheers
RicB

Well I’m always eager to stir up a vigorous conversation. ;-) I just
wish
more of it had to do with my original question.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802