center pinning question

Allen Wright akwright at btopenworld.com
Wed May 14 17:27:23 MDT 2008

In repinning an old (1930's) Steinway M, quite a few were loose. I
found that replacing the old pins with the exact same size (but new)
pins was producing just the amount of friction needed - and even in
some cases adding too much, so that I had to ream with my "Mannino"
burnishing files. Any theories on how that happens? Something to do
with the nap of the cloth changing in the process, or perhaps the
angle of the pin changing in the bushing, or (even more unlikely)
that somehow only the outer edges of the pin are slightly worn on the
old pins? (These are the various ideas me and my colleagues were
coming up with to explain the phenomenon).

Thanks, and I'll take my answer off the air...   : )

Respectfully,

Allen Wright. RPT