Music rack Cover for high Polished finishes

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Wed May 14 20:59:45 MDT 2008

Hi Barbara,

It's also worth considering that unless it's cat scratches or something similar she's worried about, the kind of scratches that sheet music/books make is very easily polished out.  If it gets scratchy in a year or two, take to it with the last compound in the series for polishing polyester, then follow with the swirl mark remover.

I know it's not an answer to your specific question, but it might be comforting for your client to recognize that these teeny scratches do not have to be permanent.

Best,
William R. Monroe

  Greetings finish experts,

  I have a customer with a little Yamaha high polish grand, who is concerned about the music rack/desk getting scratched and had a cotton tea towel draped over it this morning when I arrived to tune.  She asked me if there was a cover made to protect the rack, or, could I possibly make her one?  What material would you recommend for such a thing?  (I was thinking microfiber, perhaps.)  Would the finish still get scratched when music was placed on the rack--even with the cloth protection?

  Thanks,

  Barbara Richmond, RPT
  near Peoria, Illinois