Steinway O revisited

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun May 18 13:57:58 MDT 2008

   David
  My frustration is that when I don't change to more ribs in the trebles I often fight the same voicing issues that were in the original design.
   I've come to the conclusion that the top two capo sections on most Steinways & other need at least six ribs for stiffness & sustain support. Usually there are only 5. Well at least I like the sustain evenness of voicing & lack of weakness/soundboard resonance's better.
  I don't think it makes as much difference when sticking to the original number of ribs  in the bottom of the piano but adding ribs & fanning them under the bridge is in my highly subjective opinion something I will continue to do. A high- brid idea would to retain the bottom no of ribs & there original locations & then fill in more ribs that lie on the belly rail. Fanned or un fanned there will be an improvement.  The other plus is that there aren't as many new notches to cut.
  The first Steinway O I did a few years back with a fanned array was an amazing success. I added a shorter cut-off than yours &  I believe I only added one rib & it was under the usual trouble note 64 area. Convenient aye? Gorgeous sound.
  Let us know how it turns out....or just for fun....... invite us all over & have a concert party. I'll bring the drinks.
  Viva la choice
  Dale

I’ve done them both ways (fanned and original rib positions without significant compression) and haven’t found a huge difference.  Fanning the ribs seems to reduce resonance's some (though it doesn't seem to eliminate them entirely), it also allows you to float the bass (which I didn't’t do on this project).  The panel was ribbed at 6% (30%RH @ 85 degrees F) so it does have just a bit of compression.   On some projects, you have to make choices.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com