Steinway O revisited

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat May 17 20:54:21 MDT 2008

I've done them both ways (fanned and original rib positions without
significant compression) and haven't found a huge difference.  Fanning the
ribs seems to reduce resonances some (though it doesn't seem to eliminate
them entirely), it also allows you to float the bass (which I didn't do on
this project).  The panel was ribbed at 6% (30%RH @ 85 degrees F) so it does
have just a bit of compression.   On some projects, you have to make
choices.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com