Pressure bar screw tightening

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed May 21 21:17:50 MDT 2008

> Someone recently mention pressure bar screw tightening in a post.  I
> would be interested in reading comments on this topic for rebuilding and
> regular service.  A topic I don’t remembering reading much about.
>
> Kindest Regards,
>
> Garret

I'd say resist the impulse. The pressure bar exists to supply
a counter bearing angle at what amounts to the V bar in a
vertical. If the pressure bar is bottomed out on plate mounds,
tightening the screws is superfluous. If it's not, tightening
the screws is also superfluous if the counter bearing angle
already exists. There are at least a couple of things a tech
can do by way of periodic maintenance to a piano that might
qualify as beneficial to the instrument. This doesn't
rationally qualify as one of them.

Just say no.
Ron N