Seeking hammer suggestions

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu May 22 07:54:39 MDT 2008

After all the grinding noise Julia has put up with it might be just perfect.?I think when we use the words soft in relation to the Ronsen Hammer that it is inaccurate depiction.? For example the Ronsen Wurzen is a very dense felt but without the usual shrink wrapping that many variety's get in the press.?If I recall correctly?Ronsens are pressed at about 145 degrees for glue cure SO the ?words cold press can also be misleading.
?? By the way, I've used many lower compression hammers in Yamaha with great success.? The last set of? Wurzens I used in a Yamah G-2 I was obliged to needle back rather aggressively the tenor /treble up to about note 64.?In retrospect & ?For that piano the Bacon would be a better choice. With the Bacon I often apply just one or two drops of a really dilute solution to the string cuts to help the hammer break in & give just enough higher partials to make a happy tonal blend from the get go.
?On Larger Yamaha's I also suggest higher compression hammers. especially 9 ft.?I recently??installed Wurzens in a gorgeous C-7 last year & needled only a few notes.? The client , a jazz ?pianist called three times that month to express his gratitude for the amazing sound I got for him.......Thanks goes to Ray.
? Julia fear not....get some samples from Ray or me. Try?a couple first.
? Dale

I really don't know the answer to Julia's question, but I'm curious about the Ronsen recommendation. Isn't a Ronsen cold-pressed hammer too soft for a Yamaha? Wouldn't something like an Abel or Abel Light likely work better?

?

Terry Farrell