DC under cover

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Thu May 22 11:41:15 MDT 2008

One of my client has?a small grand with a Piano Disc sitting in the living room, overlooking?the ocean. The dealer suggested to her to keep the PD turned on all the time to help keep the moisture away. The piano also has?a string cover to protect the strings.?When she called to set up an appointment she mentioned that she and her husband go the mainland for 2 or 3 months at a time, several times a year, and wanted to know what else she could do to protect her new piano. I suggested a full piano cover, which she?is?getting.?

I?asked?the dealer?if he thought leaving the?PD turned on the whole time she is gone would be a good idea, especially with a full piano cover, and he said no.?So I want to put a DC under the piano.?But most DC are on pianos that are open, so the air can circulate. So my question is,?would the heat of the DC do damage to?a piano that has a full cover on it??Because of the constant wind from the ocean, the temperature in the house doesn't fluctuate too much, from about 75 - 80.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu, HI
Author of