what to do, what to do...

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Fri May 23 12:23:54 MDT 2008

Looks pretty normal to me for a 70 year old piano. Those are the joints of
the wood planks, not what I would call cracks (can you fit a shim in them?).
I would treat the rim and ribs with thin CA. Go ahead and treat the pins
with CA if they are marginal.

I wouldn't mention the cracks. If she does, explain they are normal for a
piano of that age, even if there are cracks you have treated the soundboard
to mitigate any negatives they would cause, you have thoroughly gone over
the action and you'll give it a full 5 year warranty. Exude confidence that
the piano is fine and don't back off your price.

Surely you can nurse any piano for 5 years. Though it should be fine for
much longer. And even if disaster strikes you have two options that you
should be prepared to make: refund the purchase price or replace it with a
comparable piano. You should clear up that your warranty gives you the
discretion of repair, replacement or refund. You should be able to replace
it for less than what she is purchasing it for.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802