Una corda and double damper lift

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Sat May 24 20:03:44 MDT 2008

As Barbara mentioned, Paul, it is not always necessary/desirable that pianos
need to shift a full string with the una corda.  It is a very common set-up
to have the hammers shift so that all three strings are still being struck,
in a position that is about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way to a full string shift.
This allows one to alter the tone color while playing with the una corda
fully depressed, rather than simply having a reduction in volume on full
shift (two strings being struck in the grooves, while the third is missed).

This being said, if you undertake to adjust the shift distance, it would be
wise to first check the hammer to string spacing to make sure that is dead
on.  If the hammer to string spacing is inconsistent, anything you do with
the una corda is going to be inconsistent as well.  Of course, now you might
be into a situation that requires shaping hammers, aligning the hammers to
the strings, then adjusting the shift distance properly, THEN dealing with
string leveling and voicing which will have changed............and so on.
;-]

I think Owen and Don gave you some good info as well, depending upon your
situation.  Your quickest might be examining the key end felts.  It wouldn't
be uncommon to have the felts cut sloppily and consequently grabbing the
neighboring underlever in shift position.

William R. Monroe