Una corda and double damper lift

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Sat May 24 21:42:37 MDT 2008

William and Barbara,

I had the feeling that this might be the case. It does sound mellower/softer
when shifted. I'd just never seen another piano that doesn't shift a full
string distance.  Even adjusting the stop a long ways it still didn't shift
as far as I expected, and I couldn't understand how it could be so far outta
whack when nothing else on the piano was (except for being 25c flat!)

And I haven't had much occasion to adjust shift stops. On my client's Young
Chang, there is an adjustable stop (like a capstan) directly above the pedal
push rod. On other pianos that I've looked down there for some or other
reason, I've never noticed that, and there isn't on one my Samick-made
Kohler & Campbell.

I'll take another gander at it before I start shaving key end widths, though
I suppose I might still wind up doing that.

Thanks for all the replies!

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN