Apology

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sun May 25 05:47:57 MDT 2008

Hello Marshall:

Well, I think it is fair to say that you got your wish - EVERYONE told you
how they felt about it!  Perhaps you weren't expecting the strength of the
reaction that you got.  It is fair to say that a lot of readers found it
very offensive - I held back my gag reflex and made myself watch the whole
thing so that my response could be an informed one.

Others have made the point that this clip sent by you is free speech.  The
supreme court has ruled that "hate speech" is protected speech.  I believe
that is correct, even when I strongly disagree with the content.

The great strength of a democracy is the free exchange and debate of ideas.
Our democracy has been a remarkably resilient and pliant one, even when
distressed.

The problem with the clip is that it did very little to genuinely inform
people.  Instead it was inflammatory.  Everyone is too clever these days to
use the "N" word, but that does not mean that the content was not racist.
Indeed, it struck me as triple whammy racism and religious intolerance -
black, arab, muslim.  Instead of elevating the discourse, it debases it.

We find ourselves living in a time when our democracy is not functioning as
well as it has in the past because the discourse has become so destructive.
Certain elements see character assassination as an effective political tool
and use it to further their cause.   They continue to use this tactic
because it often works.  But what is good for "my side" isn't necessarily
good for the long term health of our democracy.   Authoritarian societies
uses this type of language as standard operating procedure and it is
destructive to the free exchange of ideas because the ultimate intent is to
repress that speech.

Freedom of speech carries with it certain responsibilities.  Just because I
am free to say anything does not mean that I should.     Effective advocacy
of an idea or a position is one that clearly delineates the ideas and
reasons for all to examine.  I believe you have the greatest opportunity to
change the thinking of others when your ideas are strong enough.   When we
attack the person of the other, then we are bullying.

So, even as I may advocate a position, I am always self-editing:  How can I
express the idea more clearly, so as to create understanding and hopefully
persuade the other with my reasoning?  Am I being so forceful with my
expression that it disserves my intent to persuade?  If so, back off, and
find a better way to say it.   If you inadvertently offend, take
responsibility for your actions and apologize - which you appear to be doing
here.  I accept your apology.

Let's all of us stand back a little bit and try to learn from this.  After
all, we still need to live together in this democracy, even those with whom
we disagree.

Respectfully,

Will Truitt