Apology

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Sun May 25 10:03:28 MDT 2008

Will etc.

To say that your observations are measured leaves a range of possible
interpretations, (though, in this case, I mean it quite
positively).  Such is the case with the way that Marshall presented
his original, fateful recommend.  Hey everyone,Check out the video
clip.  It's important that we know about this sort of
thing.  Marshall.   Taken at face, and apart from the issue of
promoting  ANY political discourse here, a closer (not too close)
reading reveals no evidence as to whether he means that we should
know something about Obama that we might have been previously unaware
of, or that there are websites, like the one linked, that we should
be aware of.  He provides no clue to his own opinion.  How
enigmatic!  One could argue, successfully, I suspect, that the
projected absence of an opinion is simple sophistry or intentional obfuscation.

There are protocols that have evolved over the years that have
allowed this list to retain its primary focus while still creating a
genuine organic community, allowing people to be themselves, to an
extent. It is, of course, a delicate construct.  We choose to
withhold parts of ourselves that might otherwise compromise our
ability to engage in our focused discourse.  Benevolent
disingenuity?  This doesn't mean that we might not ultimately
feel  disappointed, once our interactions move beyond the 'avatars'
we present here.  There are many more interesting (to me) issues
provoked by this episode than the one of free speech, or whether
Marshall is an idiot...I wouldn't say so, judging from the general
tone of most of his posts, which, as 'Marshall Gisondi' and variants
of 'pianotune5', are more abundant than might be expected by his statement:
>now you guys owe me an apology, always out of line on the list?  hmm
>I rarely write on here.

Speaking of protocol, I do appreciate the fact that he was finally
willing to use his last name.  It does make a difference.

You must acknowledge that, once having successfully created such a
community, the impulse to share more of ourselves is, at times,
difficult to ignore.  And isn't there something, even a little bit
curious about the successful purging of any reaction to the world at
large - Myanmar and China, for example? Even helplessness would at
least acknowledge the enormity of suffering taking place?  I think
it's sometimes possible to get too comfortable with our ways.

Will, I don't agree with Tom Sivak that you missed the point, nor do
I believe, as I started to say, that Free Speech is the main issue.
I'm much more fascinated by the personal process of accommodation
whereby we allow ourselves reasoned intercourse on selected
topics  while knowing of or at least suspecting the existence of
fundamental differences.  Just how distorted a human being would one
have to be, in our own eyes, before it impinged upon our ability to
interact constructively or to accept otherwise sound advice?  Would I
accept voicing tips from Charles Manson if he were a tuner?  Asked
rhetorically.

Marshall's error was in posting the link, or posting without clearly
indicating OT, or, ironically, in NOT expressing an opinion.  Your
own post reminded me of a recent conversation I had with a client
regarding the distinction between a republic and a democracy, and
which most accurately defines our own system of government.  Not a
conversation for here, but worth inquiry on one's own time.

Have a safe holiday and, in the spirit of blatant plagerism:
Cheers

David Skolnik  RPT
Hastings on Hudson, NY
Thanks to Bill Shull for excellent Early Steinway class.