88 key pick-up! (well just 44)

Allen Wright akwright at btopenworld.com
Tue May 27 17:05:18 MDT 2008

Yes Debbie,

That also happened to me with the nylon handles once - I was carrying
mine and it collapsed. Anyone with the nylon handled pair should add
washers to prevent that! And, you've probably all figured this out
but n case anyone hasn't; you can make the clamping lots tighter by
pushing down hard on the top clamp (put as much weight on it as you
can muster) - flexing it down as you tighten the wingnut. Rather than
trying to do all the tightening using the nut.

Allen Wright
On May 27, 2008, at 11:37 PM, <pianolady50 at peoplepc.com> wrote:

> Bill's clamps are wonderful!  However, do use some caution when
> carrying keys by the clamp handles.
>
> First, speaking of the original wood clamps with leather handles.
> With age and usage the leather does rot.  Not fun when the tech was
> carrying a set of clamped keys in to my shop for keybushing.  One
> handle broke and sent a half set of perfect, white ivories down to
> the cement driveway.  'Head' first, of course.  Major repairs ensued.
>
> So...I thought the aluminum with the nylon handles were a fantastic
> improvement.  Until flipping a set on the bench and one of the
> handle attaching screws pulled through the nylon handle!  The hole
> in the nylon had enlarged.
>
> Now I've modified the handles with the addition of fender washers
> between the screw heads and the handles.  All's well so far.
>
> Best bet, frequently inspect for wear.
>
> Debbie Legg

Allen Wright
London, UK