8year Nordiska

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Wed May 28 00:45:05 MDT 2008

Hi, Jessica:
    I worked for a dealer who carried that brand.  I don't remember having loose pins in any that I tuned.  I usually found the opposite.  I hope you used a jack under the pinblock while driving the pins.  If the pins are too loose to hold, I'd guess using  CA glue would work.  I'd be curious to know what the environment is around the piano.  If there is a damppchaser in the action cavity, I'd be suspicious.
     If the pins won't go further in the block, I'd check and see if the coils are hitting the plate already.  Can you see the tuning pin holes in the block from inside the action cavity?  If they are drilled through, you should be able to drive them further, at least a little.
    Something doesn't add up.  Maybe someone did something unorthodox to make the pins easier to turn and somehow overdid it.  My experience is that the strings don't render well because of a steep angle down to the agraffes which adds a lot of friction.  Coupled with tight pins, they can be a challenge to tune.  Maybe someone tried to loosen them up and went too far.
    The laminated keys are very stable, won't warp or twist.  I had to invent "gorilla grip" key easing pliers to deal with sluggish keys because they seem to swell with moisture, and the cross laminations don't crush easily using ordinary pliers.  I modified a pair of Vice Grips to do this job.  In spite of this, they are better than the rubberwood keys I usually find in imported pianos.
    Paul

Paul McCloud
Service Technician for PianoSD.com
www.pianoservsd.com