Striking point

A E eve_ane at hotmail.co.uk
Fri May 30 07:40:32 MDT 2008

Indeed, i was starting to wonder if perhaps I should bring it up but didnt think its important.

Well for the time being I have no access to wood or any equipment to make myself a new keybed, so what can I do about it?
Actually that doesnt only go for me, I have a client who owns a Steinway B with a cracked keybed, its a hairline crack that to my observation plays no effect on anything, but shes going MENTAL about it... ideas?

Well I already wrote that coils werent wound properly in the first place when a tech restrung my piano, I took off the strings individually to clean up the bridge a little, put dag on, correct the coil, and clean the string itself. I did alittle experiment and noticed that string cleaner for violins does a fabulous job!
To my experience applying DAG and piano sounding richer isnt only with my own, I have done this before on a Mason & Hamlin, effect was similar. I have removed the strings in my piano off before and put them on and this effect hadn't taken place..

Alicia

Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 08:31:37 -0500From: pianotech at a440piano.netSubject: Re: Striking pointTo: pianotech at ptg.org

Sounds like Paul has it.  Thanks for bringing that up, Paul.  Probably should have been our first thought since the piano had been dropped.

If the keybed was cracked and moved during the fall, that's where you need to start.  The keybed position must be correct before you go fooling with voicing.

Why did you "remove" the strings to fix the coils?  Just to apply DAG?  Many rebuilders feel that DAG is utterly unnecessary excepting if you are trying to cover up an ugly bridge cap.  Putting DAG on the bridge had no effect on the richness of tone.  It is either psychoacoustic effects you are experiencing, or whatever changes the strings went through in the removal/re-installation process.

William R. Monroe

SNIP

The keybed however shifted drastically and cracked, my guess is I will have to make a new one which I'm looking foreward to doing. the action brackets seem to be ok but everything is out of order since the fall!Since the crack of keybed "shift" doesnt work too well either, yeah this piano has a grand shift to mute the sound. I noticed one interesting thing about the tone Paul, I took off all the strings to correct the coils, and while thery were off, I applied a layer of DAG on it (the bridge was naked before), and that made the tone so much richer. Any thoughts? Alicia

All new Live Search at Live.com

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000006ukm/direct/01/