Striking point

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Fri May 30 13:04:46 MDT 2008

It would be a curious proposition, IMO, for the presence of graphite on the bridge to create a tonal difference.  I would again suggest that the change in tone (perceived or otherwise) is more of a function of the exercising of the wire in taking off/putting on.  Different pianos certainly could have a variety of responses - from nothing to something.  So, just because you removed/replaced strings on one piano or another and didn't notice an effect doesn't mean that the next time you do it (and apply DAG) that any change is attributable to the DAG.  Each instance would have to be judged based upon any and all changes the string/piano went through.

You mentioned you cleaned the strings...........   I would think it monumentally more likely that cleaning the strings would have been the reason for tonal change long before I would believe that the addition of DAG had any effect.

William R. Monroe

Also, a friendly reminder about list courtesy; it is usually polite when you reply to a thread to trim the previous material to only that which is relevant to your response.  (note the "SNIP" below).  ;-]

  SNIP

  Well I already wrote that coils werent wound properly in the first place when a tech restrung my piano, I took off the strings individually to clean up the bridge a little, put dag on, correct the coil, and clean the string itself. I did alittle experiment and noticed that string cleaner for violins does a fabulous job!
  To my experience applying DAG and piano sounding richer isnt only with my own, I have done this before on a Mason & Hamlin, effect was similar. I have removed the strings in my piano off before and put them on and this effect hadn't taken place..

  Alicia