Rebuilding Henry

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat May 31 13:06:12 MDT 2008

>    It's not often I get to start over & actually design a piano but this
> was a good candidate & it's been fun. It was also necessary.
>     I Love the Non Steinway projects especially the big ones. I am
> rebuilding a 6 ft 8 inch Henry F. Miller from the early 1900's.  It's
> great because it's....big ...Has a horribly designed board & string
> scale but it is built like a tank.

What do you mean non-Steinway projects, like not doing them
the Stein way? I'm in the middle of about a 6' Knabe player
grand, currently strung and temporarily on it's side out of
the way while I get out two S&S Ds this summer, both with full
belly design modifications and tuned duplex elimination. I'll
also be eliminating wrapped trichords and the bell (gasp)!
That's the neat thing about this stuff. The principles apply
everywhere. If the carcase gives you anything at all to work
with in basic structure and plate layout, it works on pretty
much any less than ideally designed piano regardless of the
name on the fallboard.

Off to grind on the plate and relocate hitch pins. Wahoo!

Ron N