[pianotech] Replacing bass string and retaining the original tuning pins

AlliedPianoCraft AlliedPianoCraft at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 6 04:26:25 PST 2008

Hi All,

I am replacing a set bass string and retaining the original tuning pins so
that all the tuning pins look alike. The tuning pins are good and snug in
the pinblock.

When I do one or two, I use an old tuning pin to make the coil. I then pull
the becket out with a tool I made from a screwdriver and slide the coil onto
the tuning pin in the piano. It would be time consuming doing it this way
for a whole set. I don't want to reinvent the wheel here, so here is my
question.

I would like to alter a tuning pin to make the coil so that I can slide it
out from the tuning pin rather than pulling the becket out from the hole. I
thought about cutting off the bottom of the tuning pin, then cutting a slot
down to the hole. I don't know if the wire would stay in place as I start to
wind the coil. Has anyone made one of these? If so can you send a photo or
describe how you did this.

Thanks in advance

Al Guecia