[pianotech] Replacing bass string and retaining the original tuning pins

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Nov 6 05:42:28 PST 2008

?Hey big ?AL
? Even if you made such a device the becket would still need to be spread far enough to get it into the new hole on the existing pin. We/Trix have done it this way & it doesn't take that long. It takes a bit more patience than time. Of course the old pins will need to be turned out?1 turn to start with.?Check to see if?this compromises your final fit?
?Dale

Hi All,?
?
I am replacing a set bass string and retaining the original tuning pins so that all the tuning pins look alike. The tuning pins are good and snug in the pinblock.?
?
When I do one or two, I use an old tuning pin to make the coil. I then pull the becket out with a tool I made from a screwdriver and slide the coil onto the tuning pin in the piano. It would be time consuming doing it this way for a whole set. I don't want to reinvent the wheel here, so here is my question.?
?
I would like to alter a tuning pin to make the coil so that I can slide it out from the tuning pin rather than pulling the becket out from the hole. I thought about cutting off the bottom of the tuning pin, then cutting a slot down to the hole. I don't know if the wire would stay in place as I start to wind the coil. Has anyone made one of these? If so can you send a photo or describe how you did this.?
?
Thanks in advance?
?
Al Guecia ?