[pianotech] Unknown Grand Piano

Clark Sprague CSPRAGUE4 at woh.rr.com
Sun Nov 9 12:25:05 PST 2008

Esteemed Listees:
    Could anyone be of some help in finding out the manufacturer of a piano that has only 1 marking on the plate that may be some clue?  I am working on one of those sentimental pianos, they just had to have it somewhat re-done, as opposed to getting something else.  I need to try to find out who made it, and there is only 1 clue on the piano (that I can find).
    The plate has the number 76 with a bar under it on the tail.  This number is cast in the plate.  It kind of looks like 76.
It has only 1 beam underneath, a pretty massive inner rim, and one other thing that perplexes me.  It has a number that looks like the serial number painted on the plate, behind the mid-treble hitch pins, but a different six-digit number stamped on the front of the keyframe and on the keybed (those two numbers match).  I can't find anything on the action, or under the piano that might give any other indications.  HELP!!!!!!!!!

Clark A. Sprague, RPT